DATA CENTER ENGINEER – SUNNYVALE
Element Critical is looking for energetic, detail-oriented individuals to join our team. This committed team works to maintain the critical physical infrastructure that supports Element Critical. Specifically, this team works to ensure that the data center’s MEP operates at 100% availability while maintaining first-class customer service to the customers within our data centers.
The Data Center Engineer is responsible for operating and maintaining all electrical, mechanical, and fire/life safety equipment within the data center. The Data Center Engineer serves as a technical resource to support Element Critical equipment that supports critical servers to maintain better than a 99.999% uptime. Data Center Engineers are also tasked with driving innovation while reducing operational costs in our data centers.
Data Center Engineers are Element Critical’s first line responders for hands-on electrical and mechanical equipment troubleshooting and operation. This equipment includes, but is not limited to, stand-by diesel generators, switchgear, UPS’s, PDU’s, AHU’s, chillers, cooling towers, chemical treatment systems, pumps, motors, VFD’s, and building automation systems.
ABOUT ELEMENT CRITICAL
Element Critical owns and operates data centers in Chicago-Illinois, Vienna-Virginia, Austin-Texas, Houston-Texas, and Sunnyvale-California. Our Tier III hybrid IT-ready facilities are carrier-neutral, network-rich, concurrently maintainable, and available in a variety of deployment sizes and densities. Element Critical cares as much about the people we serve as the servers we house. We offer a data center experience that brings solutions engineering and customer service out of the shadows and into the spotlight.
Element Critical is powered by our people. And we would like to invite you to join us.
LOCATION AND REPORTING
The ideal candidate will be based in Sunnyvale, California.
- Operate and maintain mechanical and electrical equipment.
- Perform root cause analysis of equipment failures.
- Troubleshooting of facility events.
- Communicate verbally and written to a large audience.
- Ensure all safety procedures are adhered to while performing work.
- Take daily operational readings of all mechanical and electrical equipment.
- Utilize internal processes to manage data center work.
- Decision Making/Judgment – Recognizes problems and responds, systematically gather information, sorts through issues, seeks input from the manager, makes timely decisions, uses consensus when possible, and communicates decisions to others.
- Managing Performance – Applies clear/consistent performance standards, handles performance problems decisively and objectively, is direct but tactful, provides assistance to improve performance.
- Productivity – Manages a fair workload, volunteers for additional work, prioritizes tasks, develops good work procedures, manages time well, and handles information flow.
- Communication – Communicates well both verbally and in writing, creates accurate and punctual reports, shares information and ideas with others, has good listening skills.
- Dependability – Meets commitments, works independently, accepts accountability, handles change, sets personal standards, stays focused under pressure, and meets attendance/punctuality requirements.
- Initiative – Tackles problems and takes action as directed, seeks out new responsibilities, acts on opportunities, generates new ideas, practices self-development.
- Integrity/Ethics – Deals with others in a straightforward and honest manner, is accountable for actions, maintains confidentiality, supports company values, and conveys good news and bad.
- Teamwork – Meets all team deadlines and responsibilities, listens to others and values options, helps team leader to meet goals, welcomes newcomers, and promotes a team atmosphere.
- Education/Experience – 1+ years of relevant work experience.
- Knowledge/Ability – Technical (Military/ Trade School) training and/or relevant experience.
- Physical Demands – Candidate must be able to routinely fulfill the following physical requirements:
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 49 pounds, and participate in group lifts for 50 pounds or more.
- Work shifts up to twelve (12) hours in duration. Coordinate body movements when using tools or equipment.
- Reach and stretch to position equipment and fixtures while maintaining balance.
- Bend or twist the body into unusual positions while working.
- Perform physical tasks all day without becoming overly tired.
- Use hands to manipulate small wires and objects.
- Push or pull heavy objects into position.
- Work in a noisy environment.
- Work at depths, such as under raised floors.
- Ability to work in an environment that operates 24/7 with an ability to participate in on-call rotation and provide after-hours support as needed
- 3+ years of data center operations and/or mission-critical facilities experience.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree in applicable engineering fields or mechanical or electrical trades
- Operating engineering licenses such as DC II, DC III, or equivalent
- Stationary Engineering or Building Engineering License
- Electrical or Mechanical Journeyman License
- CFC license
- NFPA 70E training
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. Management duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” relationship.
Please complete the following form to apply for this position.